Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Lost Art of Handsewing/ Embroidery

It feels as though many of the old art forms are starting to become more and more popular as the world becomes more and more gloomy. People are searching for cheap and beautiful methods to pass time and still be productive.
One of these amazing crafts is hand-sewing and embroidery. I posted a snowflake tutorial a while back, so let's look at some more year-round embroidery ideas.

My favorite technique is called Needle painting. The purpose is to use a variety of stitches to make the image you are portraying seem as real as possible. I still have a long way to go, but I will share my journey as I improve, as well as some helpful hints on techniques.
To start off, here are some of my favorite designs from over the last couple years.




beginning stages of a sunflower. 


This was a fun sampler I found online.
There are so many fantastic resources for patterns and techniques.
If you check out the hand-sewing section of the resources page blog, 
you will see some of my favorite links to instructional and inspirational sites.

I hope this has peaked your interest in hand sewing and embellishment!





No comments:

Post a Comment