Friday, September 26, 2014

Spinach Smoothies


One of the staple foods my family is spinach- we eat it fresh from the garden, cooked on the side, in casseroles, with tortellini, cooked into Fettuccine Alfredo,  cooked with chicken. It is one of the most delicious greens. It is also a great source of vitamins and minerals.
As odd as it sounds, spinach is one of my favorite ingredients in smoothies. I was introduced to this idea a couple of years ago and have since made some alterations to the recipe I was given to fit what foods I usually have in the kitchen. I've made these yummy smoothies before, but never for my family. So when we were working on school, I pulled out the blender and started adding ingredients. My little sisters were a bit reactionary to the ordeal. The older one was confused as to why I would put a leafy green into a drink, but the younger one was eager to try the green concoction. When all of their favorite things were put in the mix, they started getting excited. After they tried it, I was enthusiastically informed that Younger Sister had never had a better smoothie in her life- shakes are still her favorite, but if she ever wanted a smoothie, this is the one she wants. So with the seal of approval, from two little girls, below is my guesstimated recipe for Spinach Smoothies.

To make a single blender-full of this yummy treat:

2c ice
2c orange juice
1 banana
6oz vanilla yogurt
a couple handfuls of spinach leaves

**these are guesstimate amounts so alter it to fit your tastes or the room in your blender**

Put all ingredients in the blender with the ice on the bottom. Put the lid on and puree until smooth.
It is best if served fresh, but if you want to save some for later, put it in the refrigerator to chill.


I hope you enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment